There are two kinds of people: Those who’ve used ChatGPT apps to write their college papers and website copy, and those who badly want to. Admit it. Or maybe there’s a third kind of person: Those who have never heard of ChatGPT technology.
Whichever group you’re in, a good chat AI chatbot assistant can take your life to the next level.
Chat GPT can up your work game, elevate your love life, handle mathematical tasks, and sling out the mot juste for any occasion — and with the speed and precision of a robot.
But search for Chat GPT on Google or iTunes, and you’re awash in an alphabet soup of confusing chatbot results. Bard. Chat GPT 3.5 or Chat GPT 4. Chatsonic. Frank AI. GPT AI Chat. And more. It’s a sea of same-sounding endless results.
Which one is the “real GPT?” Which one’s accurate? Free? And which one can write my essay or do my taxes?
We break it all down for you.
We’ll cover what Chat AI bot does what, and the best personal AI assistant for each task.
There’s not just one official app for Chat GPT; there a many. There’s a Chat GPT for just about every kind of writing and every kind of digital task you can think of, whether it’s writing cover letters, generating images, coding, or writing marketing emails.
Chat GPT apps are unique in how they process natural language, understand context, and offer you the best output. We’ll explain how the top 9 best Chat GPT apps work, where to find them, and what to use them for.
When people discuss Chat GPT or Chat Generative Pre-trained Transformer, they’re referring to OpenAI’s official ChatGPT app. It’s the original beast of burden.
Officially released on November 30, 2022, the ChatGPT app has sparked a seismic shift. Its automation capabilities have had a tremendous impact across content writing and other industries like customer service, education, entertainment, coding, and mathematics.
A major workhorse, ChatGPT can do a mix of useful tasks.
- Answer questions
- Write emails, essays, articles, and landing pages
- Write, process, and debug code
- Create and translate text in multiple languages
- Generate AI images
- Provide prompt customer service
- Easy-to-use ChatGPT web app interface
- Saves time in creating content; helpful for idea generation, outline creation, keyword planning
- Text summary; copy and paste an article, and get a quick recap
- Fairly accurate, but not 100% and you should fact-check all responses
- Lacks pre-2021 data. Cannot browse the Internet for real-time data past September 2021
- Limited availability. Not available in some countries due to privacy concerns
- Glitchy. The server can overload due to the high volume of user queries
- Ambiguous and inaccurate. Can generate nonsensical answers that lack nuance, empathy, or even a basis in facts
- Restricted features. Subscription is required to unlock additional features
- Copycat fake apps; scores of other AI apps that are not ChatGPT affiliated are deceptive, accidentally or deliberately
Chat GPT uses learned knowledge and language production to predict the best human-like output.
Best for individuals who want to experience AI chatbot technology in its original form of natural language processing before there were ChatGPT alternatives.
2. Bard Chatbot
Bard does not use a large language model (LLM) in the GPT series. Instead, it uses a different language model released in late 2022 called Pathways Language Model 2, called PaLM 2. PaLM 2 serves as the foundation for Google Bard technology.
Initially, there was a waitlist to use Bard. But since May 2023, Bard has been open to users in over 180 countries.
- Exports chat responses.
- Supports more than 100 languages.
- Spoken responses
- Upload visuals to prompts through Google Lens
- Writes articles, essays, or other text copy
- Personalized responses in the desired tone and style
- Based on up-to-date, current data from the Google search engine
- No cost; currently free to the public
- Can offer useful tables and structured data when answering questions
- “Explain it to a 9-year-old” — Can explain complex topics in easy-to-understand natural language
- Great for article ideas and generating outlines; helpful for planning your layout
- Does not provide sources; can provide inaccurate sources if prompted
- Can provide incorrect data that varies from current, accurate search results
- Not helpful with coding; does know some coding languages but real-life coders have found numerous flaws in its abilities
- Google-centric; Supports only Google searches
- Limited SEO usefulness; Cannot provide meta descriptions or meta titles
- Cannot give a recap; Often gives an inaccurate recap if you ask Bard to summarize the text you provide. This is because Bard can synthesize data (put together separate pieces of existing data into a larger set) but it cannot analyze data (offer a unique analysis or conclusion based on reading the data).
- Lengthy summary; it can give you a summary just as long as the original text you ask it to summarize
Best for students and professionals who need a good resource for outlining articles or essays, looking for high-volume topic ideas, editing copy, and brainstorming.
Released in mid-March 2023, GPT-4 is the newest version of OpenAI’s language model.
GPT-4 has the ability to understand both written and visual information and is unique from other AI chatbots in how it answers questions. This means it can read visual prompts and answer a question — in a visual response, text response, or combination of both.
GPT-4 uses something called unsupervised learning. This means the model is exposed to large amounts of data (trillions of text-based data sets), and then learns to predict the next word in the sentence based on context, Additionally, it uses reinforcement learning, which means it learns from user interactions and preferences to become even more accurate.
The app is currently available only to users who have a subscription to Open AI’s ChatGPT Plus. The premium subscription costs $20 per month, and offers additional features, access to Chat GPT during peak hours, and shorter response processing times. It’s available for Android and iOS devices.
- AI-powered search engine for more relevant and timely results
- Accepts image inputs
- Speech to text
- Questions and summarized answers
- Accurate language translator and proofreader
- Generate AI images
- Uses Google. Searches the web for results.
- Sophisticated. Built with OpenAI’s most advanced large language model
- Speedy; faster response time than other apps
- AI visual reading; can read text in images
- Multilingual; use ChatGPT-4 in 20+ languages
- Must use Bing to access ChatGPT-4 for free
- User cap at a given time depending on server usage
- Subscription needed: ChatGPT Plus
- Likely to generate offensive or dangerous outputs
Best for writers needing creative inspiration, professionals needing advice inputs, or students needing homework assistance.
Chatsonic was released in mid-December 2022 by Writesonic. From the start, Chatsonic was branded as ChatGPT but with greater superpowers. Chatsonic’s development integrates Chat GPT technology with Google Search so that the app can provide you with the most up-to-date content.
- Create factual content with real-time topics and events
- Text generation for writing blog posts, social media posts, and product descriptions
- Ultra-quick answers to questions
- AI image generation
- Voice commands to eliminate typing
- Text-to-speak functionality similar to Siri or Google Assistant
- User-friendly interface: Easy to use and reliable
- Task management: Tools to manage a range of conversation types, including customer service.
- Free trial available: Try Chatsonic for 10,000 words free within the first month of signing up, then 2,500 words per month
- Text-to-speak functionality: Similar to Siri or Google Assistant
- Plug-ins: Chat GPT extension for Chrome browser
- Excellent structure of articles: Only ChatGPT app I’ve tested that will write an article when prompted that includes a title, intro, conclusion, headers, bullets where appropriate, and a word count for each section
- Follows word count prompts: When prompted to write a specific-length article, Chatsonic complies when other apps will deliver articles 25 to 50 percent of the total requested length
- Word limit: The free trial has a 2,500 monthly word limit. A pro plan with up to 100,000 words per month starts at $12.67
- Inefficient image creation: Image generation could take a couple of iterations to get right and cost a surplus of words toward the word limit
- No history: App does not maintain a history of chats
Best for freelance writers and enterprises that want an AI assistant with up-to-date Google smarts to scale content production.
5. Bing Chat
Microsoft released the new Bing Chat on February 7, 2023. This AI-powered writing assistant is built using OpenAI’s GPT-4 and Prometheus.
Prometheus is an open-source tool used to collect and monitor metrics from a variety of sources in an efficient and scalable way and is extremely popular with cloud-based applications. For Bing Chat, Prometheus provides fresher, near-real-time data to use for training data models.
- AI-powered search engine for more relevant and timely results
- Questions and summarized answers
- Accurate language translator and proofreader
- Generate AI images
- Advanced language. Built with OpenAI’s most advanced large language model
- Real-time access to the internet
- Cites sources. Returns links to sources
- Maintains user history. Stores all conservations for later viewing.
- Not unlimited. Query limit cap
- Restricted feature accessibility; not all users will have access to all features
- Not always available; downtimes for maintenance or high user volume
- Does not offer a title when you ask it to write you an article
- No previous query recall; you cannot ask follow-up questions
- Queries are limited to 2,000 characters (300 to 500 words), so not feasible to copy and paste an article and ask Bing Chat to summarize it
Best for people AI and chatbot enthusiasts who want to test multiple apps. Not a great standalone app for content creation.
Jasper is an AI platform designed for businesses that launched in January 2021. Its goal is to be able to match tone and brand for content production across a variety of channels: social media, blog articles, PPC ads, email, and more.
Jasper excels at being able to match different “voices” for different writers or celebrities, and it can be trained to mimic your brand. It comes with a built-in SEO analyzer to optimize content for SEO, and it has AI image generation features too.
- Allows human-like conversations with a chatbot, answers questions, and assists you with tasks
- Transform any thought into a beautiful work of art
- The AI in Jasper Brand Voice works with your brand’s unique tone and style to help you make content that is on-brand
- Trained on industry best practices and validated examples to generate high-quality copy for more than 50 use cases, including meta descriptions, catchy article headlines, and email subject lines
- Rapid production: Jasper can generate a full page of content within seconds with just a few inputs
- Efficient and accurate: Jasper can match the tone and keep stylistic errors to a minimum
- Think tank: Jasper can assist with brainstorming ideas to achieve new angles for your content
- Keyword Optimization: Jasper can incorporate target keywords naturally into your content
- Originality: Copyediting features and plagiarism checker
- Visual interface: Mirrors the experience of writing in Word or Google doc
- Guide the process: When writing content, Jasper will write a section and then ask for your feedback on style and voice before it continues on
- No fact-checking feature: Jasper will process content found online and can’t filter out misinformation
- Makes up facts: Inserts random facts and statistics into articles where a human writer would naturally include a fact or figure
- Requires lots of prompts: Jasper will often need more than one prompt to get it right and user will need to find different ways to re-word the same command
- Struggles with specialized topics: Jasper will perform optimally with straightforward content like how-to’s rather than original thought-provoking media
- Requires follow-up prompts to complete an article: Not as push-button as other apps; every couple of paragraphs you have to prompt it to continue
- Not free to use: Plan starts at $39/month although you can get a free 7-day trial if you provide your credit card information
Best for marketing analysts, business development specialists, account managers, or SEM managers.
7. Frank AI Chat Assistant
Frank AI Chat Assistant was released on December 11, 2022. Frank is an AI-powered search and conversation bot powered by ChatGPT that combines ad-free search, text, and image creation into a seamless mobile experience.
- Powered by Chat GPT and GPT-4 write an essay, respond to emails, and search the internet
- The search function can access up-to-date information in real-time
- Use Frank with other users to explore features and build community
- Free version: Free to use after logging in
- Multiple languages: The app is available in over 100 languages internationally
- Text generation: Text prompts can create any image within seconds
- Voice input: Enjoy verbal inputs as well as text
- Privacy concerns: Sensitive personal information should not be used
- Unfiltered content: May generate offensive or disturbing content
- Slow and glitchy: Users have reported the app to be slow with long lag times; when I tried it was slower than other Chat GPT apps but still provided a response within 10 seconds
- Mobile app only: Cannot be used on desktop which would be more helpful for writing assignments and content writing work.
Solid tool for writers who want to generate high-quality content for their website or blog posts in a mobile UX.
ChatArt was released on April 23, 2023, and was specifically developed to simulate human-like conversations. The chat GPT app provides a personalized natural chat experience based on users’ behaviors and interests.
- Real-time conservations without delays
- AI writing assistant
- Voice commands
- Personalized chat experience to match user’s cadence
- Compatibility across different platforms (iTunes and Google Play Store)
- Editor: Grammar correct feature
- Speed: Quicker at answering queries and writing articles than other Chat GPT apps
- Easy social sharing: Share feature to share results across social media
- Maintains chat history: Save results for later reference
- Multilingual: Supports multiple languages
- Not entirely free: Paid subscription is required for the top features
- Mobile app only: Can be used for generating articles, essays, and other long-form content but you receive the output in chat text format; I copy and paste output to Google Docs for further editing
Best for anyone such as students or professionals who want to improve their writing and productivity within their mobile device. I might use it to write work emails for me from my phone.
9. Surfer AI
Surfer SEO has been around since 2017. It launched as an SEO writing optimization tool, to help marketers and writers everywhere produce SEO-optimized content. However, its AI chatbot feature, called Surfer AI, was only recently released in May 2023.
Surfer SEO requires a paid subscription for its core features (SEO editor) and it’s an additional fee of $29 per AI-written article.
This new feature is advertised everywhere, promising businesses can ditch expensive human content writers and use Surfer’s AI bot to write fully publishable articles at a fraction of the cost.
More advanced than other chatbots, Surfer AI combines the GPT (generative pre-trained transformer) model with SERP analysis and NLP (natural language processing) models.
Surfer AI uses the highest tier of the GPT model to process AI content enabling a higher quality of text with lower repetitions
Surfer AI, however, combines SERP analysis with NLP and generative AI models to cater to user intent and search engine ranking requirements.
- Chatbot can write an SEO-optimized article based on similar content ranking in the top 20 slots of Google SERP (search engine results page)
- Co-create an outline with Surfer’s outline builder, guiding the headers and subheaders you want to be included in the article
- Completes topic research for you
- SEO: Provides SEO-optimized content that’s designed to rank
- Higher-quality writing: Built to go head-to-head against human writers
- Voice match: Can ask Surfer SEO to write content to match the tone of existing copy on your website
- Anti-AI-detection: Option to “boost anti-AI detection” so it produces content that is not flagged as AI-written; unclear how well this feature works
- Driver’s seat: You guide the content production, providing direction on the article’s outline and style
- Slower than other GPT apps: Takes 3 to 10 minutes to produce an article
- Factual inaccuracies: Surfer AI researches content on existing, top-ranking sites, and often returns dated or outright incorrect data
- Requires significant editing to be publishable: I’ve used Surfer AI to produce three different articles and none of them were anywhere near ready for publication
- Repetitive: Written output is very repetitive
- English only: Supports only English language at the moment. Outline builder can support other languages (Polish, German, Dutch, French, Spanish, Swedish, Danish) and AI bot linguistics will eventually expand.
Best for businesses and marketers who lack SEO writing know-how. Surfer AI is better at SEO than other Chat GPT tools but still does not produce a usable, end product. A 2,000-word article would likely require 5-7 hours of fact-checking, fact revisions, and editing.
There’s a wide range of GPT and AI chat apps that you can use to lighten your workload and meet your schoolwork and business needs.
Beyond any ethical qualms, a user may or may not have, there’s no one chat GPT app that can do it all in terms of coding, article-writing, or other project-based needs. For writing in particular, chatbots are factually inaccurate and unoriginal. They can synthesize data but they can’t analyze it. And chatbot-written content can be detected.
But this doesn’t mean that Chat GPT isn’t ethical or good. As a content writer and owner of a content writing agency, I’m fascinated (low-key obsessed) with Chat AI technology and use it every single day, rotating between a few bots on my laptop and a couple of others from my phone.
The technology is tremendously helpful as an idea generator, article outline creator, thesaurus, urban dictionary, grammar consultant, and tone (professional or persnickety) evaluator.
And Surfer SEO (not Surfer AI writer) was used to provide SEO guidance to humans writing this article.